• 2nd Highest Card Sending Holiday: Approximately one billion Valentines are sent annually world-wide, making it the second highest card sending holiday, behind Christmas.
• Biblical Romance: The Song of Solomon is considered the most romantic book in the Bible.
• Humorous Valentine: 75% of Valentine cards are romantic, as compared to humorous cards.
• International Language of Love: “Ie Ovele Ouye” means “I Love You” in Pig Latin.
• Valentine’s Day Cards: Valentine’s Day is not just for lovers anymore. More than 190 Valentine’s Day cards are bought every year, including cards for friends, family, and lovers. If you add in the Valentine’s that children exchange in class, that number increases to over 1 billion Valentines per year.
• Married Valentine’s: During the mid-17th century, even married folk took a Valentine and that person was not always their legal significant other.
• Meaning of the Word Valentine: The name Valentine comes from the Latin word valor, meaning worthy.
• Most Valentine Cards: Teachers get the most Valentine cards each year.
• Name for Valentine’s Day: Valentine’s Day was named for two men, both Christian martyrs named Valentine who were associated with romantic love in the middle ages.
• Official Holiday: St. Valentine’s Day was declared an official holiday in 1537 when England’s King Henry VIII declared it for the first time.
• Roman Ties: Cupid was the son of the Roman God Venus.
• Unmarried Valentine’s: In the Middle Ages, people believed that the first unmarried person of the opposite sex that they met on the morning of Valentine’s Day was the person they were destined to marry.
• Unrequitted Romance: According to Roman Mythology, Anteros is Cupid’s brother who is said to be the avenger of unrequitted love.
• Unusual Foods: In Medieval times, girls ate unusual foods on St Valentine’s Day to make them dream of their future husband.
• Valentine Birds: February 14th was long associated with fertility and love even before St. Valentine lived. It was the day that birds traditionally chose their mates.
• Valentine Celtic Wooden Spoons: The ancient Celtic tradition of giving hand carved wooden love spoons as Valentine’s gifts began in Wales. Often, hearts, keys, and keyholes, symbolizing that the receiver unlocked the giver’s heart, were carved as decoration on the spoon.
• Valentine History: The oldest known Valentine still in existence today was a poem written in 1415 by Charles, Duke of Orleans, to his wife while he was imprisoned in the Tower of London following his capture at the Battle of Agincourt. It’s located in the British Museum.
• Valentine Love: Eros is the God of Love in Greek Mythology.
• Valentine Love Messages: Elaborate handmade love messages, cards and gifts for Valentine’s Day became popular during the 17th century.
• Valentine Month: The Romans used February as the official start of Spring (Spring = Fertility), and their Fertility Festival was celebrated between February 2-15. Since February now has 28 or 29 days (on Leap Years), Valentine’s Day was eventually moved to the middle of the month.
• Valentine Pagan Fertility Festival: The Romans introduced a pagan fertility festival in England that was held every February 14th. After the Romans left the country, Pope Gelasius (aka Pop Gelsius), who established St. Valentine’s Day as a celebration of love in 496 A.D, abolished the pagan festival.
• Valentine Patent: On Valentine’s Day in 1876, Alexander Graham Bell applied for a patent on his telephone invention.
• Valentine Pet Gifts: 3% of pet owners give their pets a gift on Valentine’s Day.
• Valentine Self Gifts: 15% of women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
• Valentine Robins Overhead: It was believed that if a woman saw a robin flying overhead on Valentine’s Day, it meant she would marry a sailor.
• Valentine Sweets: Candy first began as a Valentine gift in the 17th century and is believed to be a result of inspiration by Shakespeare’s Hamlet who said, “Sweets to the Sweet” in Hamlet.
• Valentine’s Day Gift Spending: Consumers spend an average of over $75 on Valentine’s Day gifts, the most popular being chocolates, food, wine, and flowers.
• Valentine’s Day Mobsters: The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre occurred in Chicago in 1929.
• Women Card Buyers: 85% of all Valentine cards are purchased by women.
• “X” Marks The Spot: Illiterate people in the Middle Ages made an “X”, and then kissed in front of two or more witnesses to show their sincerity.
Valentine's Day is the poet's holiday. - Ted Kooser
I claim there ain't another Saint as great as Valentine. - Ogden Nash
Valentine hearts beat more passionately than everyday hearts. - Unknown
Valentine's Day is like Armistice Day - you declare a truce. - Milton Berle
Without Valentine's Day, February would be... well, January. - Jim Gaffigan
Today is Valentine's Day - or, as men like to call it, Extortion Day. - Jay Leno
Valentine's day without your love is like a year without the Internet. - Santosh Kalwar
Valentine's Day is the day when you remember that Cupid was a lousy shot. - Milton Berle
She was nice to him on Valentine's Day. She gave him a heart-shaped rash. - Milton Berle
Working with Julie Andrews is like getting hit over the head with a valentine. - Christopher Plummer
I'm like the kid in kindergarten; I really do send valentines to everyone. - Susie Bright
All my wife wanted for Valentine's Day was a little card - American Express. - Milton Berle
Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, thou art every day my Valentine! - Thomas Hood
If my Valentine you won't be,
I'll hang myself on your Christmas tree. - Ernest Hemingway
To the romantic soul, the rituals of Valentine's Day echo every day of the year. - Richelle E. Goodrich
On Valentine's Day, I wired flowers for my mother-in-law, but she found the fuse. - Milton Berle
Valentine's Day - a nice holiday because it's the first day of the rest of your wife. - Milton Berle
The only thing that can break a piece of Valentine candy is another piece of Valentine candy. - Milton Berle
Valentine's Day money-saving tip: Break up on February 13th, get back together on the 15th. - David Letterman
I love Valentine's Day! I love it, I love it, I love it. I like having doors opened for me. - Ginnifer Goodwin
My wife is a real Puritan. She thinks licking the stamp on the envelope of a Valentine is foreplay. - Milton Berle
Why buy flowers for Valentine's Day? Just go to a cemetery and collect a dozen off a few graves. - Jarod Kintz
The thing about Valentine's day is that people discover who are single and who to feel jealous of. - Faye Morgan
Valentine's Day: Rubbing singles' noses in their lack of a mate and the noses of couples in their lack of time. - Emma McLaughlin
I like to do things for my wife on Valentine's Day. I open the door for her when she puts laundry in the washing machine. - Milton Berle
My son really has the spirit of Valentine's Day. When he was in college, he used to send his mother a heart-shaped box of laundry. - Milton Berle
This Valentine's Day rent a poem for your loved. They come in three sizes - small, medium, and romantic. Free refills available to Premium Members. - Jarod Kintz
My wife sent me a Valentine card that said, "Take my heart, take my lips, take my soul." That's just like her. She kept the good parts for herself. - Milton Berle
Non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia can only celebrate Valentine's Day behind closed doors. Apparently, this has led to a huge black market for flowers and wrapping paper. - John Niven
Hollywood wanted to change my birthdate. I was born after Valentine's Day, so they wanted to change it to February 14. A Latin lover should be born on Valentine's Day. I said no. - Cesar Romero
I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. - Unknown
Valentine's Day is when stores and restaurants get rich, men get lucky, and women fill their pretty faces with chocolate and put up with their man for six seconds at the end of the night. - Unknown
Quote, Trivia & Valentine Sections
Valentine’s Day Quotes by Milton Berle
Happy Valentine’s Day to Our New Father
Happy vOWLentine’s Day
Lawyer’s Valentine Gift
Perfect Valentines Day
Redneck Valentine Love Poems
She Loves Me ... She Loves Me Not
Unhappy Valentine’s Day
Valentine Love & Hisses
Valentine One Liners
Valentine’s Day Dinner
USB Vacuum Cleaner
Mexican Fire Extinguisher
Titanic's Non-Romantic Scene
Polar Bear Attack
Ice Hockey Meltdown
Upended Water Buffalo
Don't Count On It
GPS Marriage Proposal