(1) Initial apartment building construction plans
(2) An underground garage was being dug on the south side,
to a depth of 4.6 meters. The excavated soil was being piled up
on the north side, to a height of 10 meters.
(3) Heavy rains resulted in water seeping into the ground.
The building experienced uneven lateral pressure from the north and south.
(4) This resulted in a lateral pressure of 3,000 tonnes, which was
greater than what the pilings could tolerate.
(5) The building began to shift, and the hollow concrete pilings were
snapped due to the uneven lateral pressures.
Then the building toppled over in the southerly direction.
see also Engineer & Safety Sections
Telegraph (UK) Article
Dubai Construction Breach
Irish Dock Overboard Oh-Nos
Twisted Building (Pre-Earthquaked)
Voted #1 Humor Site