[The following is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine. This was serious and written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II. Obviously, the intent was not to be “funny,” but by today’s standards, this is hilarious...]
There’s no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage. Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they’re less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn’t be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.
2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It’s always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.
3. General experience indicates that “husky” girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress at the outset the importance of time - the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they’ll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can’t shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl’s husband or father may swear vociferously, she’ll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough size variety in operator’s uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can’t be stressed too much in keeping women happy.
Women should be obscene and not heard. - Groucho Marx
Tis brief, my lord... as woman's love. - William Shakespeare
Always be smarter than the people who hire you. - Lena Horne
I only take Viagra when I'm with more than one woman. - Jack Nicholson
He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original. - Alice Cooper
If you can make a woman laugh, you can make her do anything. - Marilyn Monroe
Every time you have to speak, you are auditioning for leadership. - James Humes
Managers light a fire under people; leaders light a fire in people. - Kathy Austin
The husbands of very beautiful women belong to the criminal classes. - Oscar Wilde
Men fall in love with their eyes. Women fall in love with their ears. - Dr. Phil McGraw
I love men, not because they are men, but because they are not women. - Queen Christina of Sweden
The 3 fastest means of communication: Twitter; Telephone; Tell a woman. - Unknown
There are worse occupations in this world than feeling a woman's pulse. - Laurence Sterne
If women can be railroad workers in Russia, why can't they fly in space? - Valentina Tereshkova
Seest thou a person diligent in their business? They shall stand before Kings. - Proverbs 22:29
Show business is my life. When I was a kid I sold insurance, but nobody laughed. - Don Rickles
Leadership is the art of giving people a platform for spreading ideas that work. - Seth Godin
A friendship founded on business is better than a business founded on friendship. - John D Rockefeller
Enthusiasm is a vital element toward the individual success of every man or woman. - Conrad Hilton
My advice would be if you want to pursue a career in the music business, don't. - Simon Cowell
Positive leadership uplifts everyone. All it takes is you: the best version of you. - Unknown
Only choose in marriage a woman whom you would choose as a friend if she were a man. - Joseph Joubert
Women over thirty are at their best, but men over thirty are too old to recognize it. - Jean-Paul Belmondo
The best leaders have a high consideration factor. They really care about their people. - Brian Tracy
Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life. - Les Brown
Money itself doesn't interest me. But you must make money to go on building the business. - Rupert Murdoch
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A. Heinlein
A good leader leads the people from above them. A great leader leads the people from within them. - M D Arnold
We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business. - Will Rogers
I would venture to guess that Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman. - Virginia Woolf
For marriage to be a success, every woman and every man should have her and his own bathroom. The end. - Catherine Zeta-Jones
Great leaders are not defined by the absence of weakness, but rather by the presence of clear strengths. - John Zenger
A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again. - Enid Bagnold
If this world is going to be reached, I am convinced that it must be done by men and women of average talent. - Dwight L. Moody
Our duty, as men and women, is to proceed as if limits to our ability did not exist. We are collaborators in creation. - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Babies are bits of stardust, blown from the hand of God. Lucky the woman who knows the pangs of birth, for she has held a star. - Larry Barratto
Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in. - Rita Rudner
A woman should never be seen eating or drinking, unless it be lobster salad and Champagne, the only true feminine and becoming viands. - George G. Byron
Like many other women, I could not understand why every man who changed a diaper has felt impelled, in recent years, to write a book about it. - Barbara Ehrenreich
In the past a leader was a boss. Today's leaders must be partners with their people; they no longer can lead solely based on positional power. - Ken Blanchard
Office & Work Sections
Bent Car Sculpture
Thanks For Noticing
Overflow Truck Garden
Beach Sign Training
You're Home Early
New Nail Gun
No Pot Of Gold
Curses, Foiled Again
Sidewalk Malt Melt