[The following is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine. This was serious and written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II. Obviously, the intent was not to be “funny,” but by today’s standards, this is hilarious...]
There’s no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage. Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they’re less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn’t be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.
2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It’s always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.
3. General experience indicates that “husky” girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress at the outset the importance of time - the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they’ll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can’t shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl’s husband or father may swear vociferously, she’ll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough size variety in operator’s uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can’t be stressed too much in keeping women happy.
Hire character. Train skill. - Peter Schutz
Call others into leadership with you. - Jacobia Solomon
Well-behaved women never make history. - Maria Shriver
My strength lies solely in my tenacity. - Louis Pasteur
Eyebrows: What I do when I go shopping. - Daffynitions joe-ks.com
Man can not live on chocolate alone.... but women can. - Unknown
The chief business of the American people is business. - Calvin Coolidge
A woman's best protection is a little money of her own. - Clare B Luce
I think housework is the reason most women go to the office. - Heloise Cruse
We need a leader that wrote "The Art of the Deal". - Donald Trump
Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality. - Warren G Bennis
Leaders don't create followers, they create more leaders. - Tom Peters
Prophesy is a good line of business, but it is full of risks. - Mark Twain
I would go out with women my age, but there are no women my age. - George Burns
For business, our Internet love affair was a gift from the gods. - Gary Vaynerchuk
Every time you have to speak, you are auditioning for leadership. - James Humes
Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. - Groucho Marx
A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea. - Honore de Balzac
The rule of my life is to make business a pleasure, and pleasure my business. - Aaron Burr
Business opportunities are like buses; there's always another one coming. - Richard Branson
Beauty is the first present nature gives to a woman and the first it takes away. - Fay Weldon
My vigour, vitality, and cheek repel me. I am the kind of woman I would run from. - Nancy Astor
Like the cosmetics industry, the securities business is engaged in selling illusion. - Paul Samuelson
Nothing changes the gender equation more significantly than women's economic freedom. - Gloria Steinem
I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a King. - Elizabeth I
I had popcorn all over the place, so I decided I might as well be in the Processing Business. - Orville Redenbacher
Sewing Circle: 1. Where friendship hangs by a thread; 2. A group of women who needle each other. - Daffynitions joe-ks.com
A good leader leads the people from above them. A great leader leads the people from within them. - M D Arnold
In Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Canada has at last produced a political leader worthy of assassination. - Irving Layton
The one quality that can be developed by studious reflection and practice is the leadership of men. - Dwight D Eisenhower
Deprived of meaningful work, men and women lose their reason for existence; they go stark, raving mad. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view. - Sophia Loren
Leaders should always expect the very best of those around them. They know that people can change and grow. - Warren Bennis
I see when men love women. They give them but a little of their lives. But women when they love give everything. - Oscar Wilde
The quality of your life is determined by the quality of your relationships. The quality of your business is no different. - Harvey Mackay
Every woman's dream is that a man will take her in his arms, throw her into bed... and clean the whole house while she sleeps. - Unknown
Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in. - Rita Rudner
Fall: The season when your wife buys new winter clothes so she will have something to wear when she goes out shopping for spring outfits - Daffynitions joe-ks.com
Good leaders must communicate vision clearly, creatively and continually. However, the vision doesn't come alive until the leader models it. - John C Maxwell
One of the most important leadership lessons is realizing you're not the most important or the most intelligent person in the room at all times. - Mario Batall
Office & Work Sections
Open Door Policy... Almost
Green Picnic Table
Trudeau's Top Fails
Anger Release Machine
Madness in London
Too Late Sign
Smart Car Security
Mega Samurai Sudoku Puzzles
Fresh Out Of The Saddle